[SNMP4J] SNMP4J on an application server like tomcat or jboss

Eugene R. Snider gene at cvtt.net
Mon Jan 21 16:56:10 CET 2008

I had no difficulty integrating with a tomcat J2EE application using a
static subclass of the BaseAgent and packages located in the common ( or
shared for Windows ) library directory. We use the Eclipse IDE so we
imported SNMP4j as utility jars in our J2EE app which made the
integration of static methods and objects with the application services
extremely straightforward. So long as you do not have port conflicts you
should experience few issues.

Under serious load one is inclined to use the Jakarta interface to the
Apache HTTP server which will handle the load elegantly. We did not
investigate this configuration and it may present other challenges.

As was noted elsewhere special problem arose when attempting to send v2c
traps unrelated to the deployment configuration.

I'm preparing to publish an open source release of the relevant Eclipse
components, this also manages a static instance of the agent in its own
thread. I had to override initializaton and shutdown functions of course
so that the thread pools could be collected. This applications listens
for UDP or TCP  messages on a well defined port and uses the well
formatted message data to manage the relevant IF-MIB tables ( ifTable,
ifXTable, ifStackTable ). The well behaved way to do this would. of
course, be a line sub-agent abstraction but if anyone could implement
that well most of us would out of work....:-)

Gene