FW: [SNMP4J] snmp get with partial indexes

Ori Liel OriL at Radware.com
Tue Jul 1 13:34:33 CEST 2008

Unfortunately I have no control over the SNMP agent...

Can you think of another way to get rows according to a subset of index
values?

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Gehlbach [mailto:jeffg at opennms.org]
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 10:49 PM
To: Ori Liel
Subject: Re: [SNMP4J] snmp get with partial indexes

On Jun 29, 2008, at 4:13 AM, Ori Liel wrote:
> I want to get all rows where Index1="a" and Index2="b" (with no
> restriction on Index3 value). The straight-forward solution would be
> get the entire table and search for the rows I want, but this is no
> feasible due to the size of the table (on top of everything, I'm
> forced
> to use SNMPv1 which doesn't have getBulk()).

Can you push back on the protocol version restriction?  In this day
and age there's really no excuse for not supporting at least v2c.

The only workaround I can think of is to use a set operation to tell
the agent the constraints you wish on index1 and index2, and have the
agent construct a "shadow" table that mirrors the original but
includes only the set of rows described by the last constraints set in
place.  This is far from elegant, but it might work.

-jeff