[SNMP4J] community name in agent

Jeff Ramin ramin at berbee.com
Wed Jul 30 16:17:29 CEST 2008

As I've posted before, I'm trying to figure out how to change the
community name of an existing MOServer...

I've been looking at the source code, and came across this method
in the TestAgent:

   protected void addCommunities(SnmpCommunityMIB communityMIB) {
     Variable[] com2sec = new Variable[] {
         new OctetString("public"),              // community name
         new OctetString("cpublic"),              // security name
         getAgent().getContextEngineID(),        // local engine ID
         new OctetString("public"),              // default context name
         new OctetString(),                      // transport tag
         new Integer32(StorageType.nonVolatile), // storage type
         new Integer32(RowStatus.active)         // row status
     };
     MOTableRow row =
         communityMIB.getSnmpCommunityEntry().createRow(
           new OctetString("public2public").toSubIndex(true), com2sec);
     communityMIB.getSnmpCommunityEntry().addRow(row);
//    snmpCommunityMIB.setSourceAddressFiltering(true);
   }

Is this how a community name is added/changed in an existing agent?

I was hoping it would be a simple setCommunityName(String) type of call,
but apparently not.

Is there any documentation that explains the various objects above? Things
like "security name", "local engine id", "context name", etc. don't mean
anything to me. I'd like to understand the relationship between these
objects/concepts, but looking at the javadoc doesn't suffice.

Thanks!

--
Jeffrey Ramin
Berbee