[SNMP4J] SNMP4J Starting up problems

Oosten, Harry van harry.van.oosten at logica.com
Thu Jul 31 12:34:52 CEST 2008

Hello,

As a requirement for an application I need to build in option to request
some OID from switches and/or a APC.

I have tried to create a testclass based on the examples given in the
API.

I think I don't get the whole idea to make things work. I want to know
what I need to create this functionality:

-       SNMPv3

-       Polling Switches and/or APC

-       Acting on value from the response

I've tried to create an UserTarget and ScopedPDU

  private ScopedPDU createScopedPdu() {

        ScopedPDU pdu = new ScopedPDU();

        pdu.add(new VariableBinding(new OID(".1.3.1.2.6.1.2.1.1.2")));

        pdu.setType(PDU.GETBULK);

        pdu.setMaxRepetitions(50);

        pdu.setNonRepeaters(1);

pdu.setContextEngineID(OctetString.fromHexString("80:00:13:70:c0:a8:01:0
d"));

        return pdu;

    }

private UserTarget createUserTarget() {

        UserTarget target = new UserTarget();

        target.setAddress(new UdpAddress("127.0.0.1/161"));

        target.setRetries(1);

        target.setTimeout(500);

        target.setVersion(SnmpConstants.version3);

        target.setSecurityLevel(SecurityLevel.AUTH_PRIV);

        target.setSecurityName(new OctetString("MD5DES"));

        return target;

    }

With these to tried to send the message:

private void sendMessage(ScopedPDU requestPDU, UserTarget target) throws
IOException {

        Snmp snmp = null;

        try {

            snmp = new Snmp(new DefaultUdpTransportMapping());

            snmp.listen();

        } catch (IOException ex) {

Logger.getLogger(MySnmpTest.class.getName()).log(Level.SEVERE, null,
ex);

        }

        ResponseEvent response = snmp.send(requestPDU, target);

        if (response.getResponse() == null) {

            // request timed out

        } else {

            System.out.println("Received response from: " +

                    response.getPeerAddress());

            // dump response PDU

            System.out.println(response.getResponse().toString());

There are a few things I don't understand first off all  get an
stacktrace:

Exception in thread "main" org.snmp4j.MessageException: Message
processing model 3 returned error: -1402

        at
org.snmp4j.MessageDispatcherImpl.sendPdu(MessageDispatcherImpl.java:458)

        at org.snmp4j.Snmp.sendMessage(Snmp.java:951)

        at org.snmp4j.Snmp.send(Snmp.java:808)

        at org.snmp4j.Snmp.send(Snmp.java:760)

        at test.MySnmpTest.sendMessage(MySnmpTest.java:87)

        at test.MySnmpTest.go(MySnmpTest.java:48)

        at test.MySnmpTest.main(MySnmpTest.java:42)

Second of all where do I need to configure my username and password for
the connection?

Thanks in advance. Any help would be welcome.

Met vriendelijke groet / Kind Regards,

ing. Harry van Oosten

Software engineer