[SNMP4J] EngineId Discovery Issue

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Fri Apr 10 11:14:26 CEST 2009

Hi Brett,

SNMP4J sends a GET request to discover an engine ID
when you use Snmp.discoverAuthoritativeEngineID(..).

If you see an INFORM request, then that belongs
to something different.

The second request is indeed not necessary when
using Snmp.discoverAuthoritativeEngineID(..).
I will optimize it for the 1.10 release.

The NET-SNMP implementation did not correctly
implement the discovering process, but I thought
in the latest release this had been fixed.