[SNMP4J] Simple agent question

Charles McParland mcparland at lbl.gov
Wed Apr 15 21:15:25 CEST 2009

Am new to SNMP4J and have a question about agent side
design.  I'm using snmp to instrument a network simulation
package and would like to add my own agents to the simulation
code base.  Have been looking through the sample code in the
dist. and things are starting to make sense.  But, I don't yet have
a clear picture of how the agent framework connects to the
remainder of the target code.

-Does the target environment call into the framework to
store values, update rows, etc. for possible queries that
might flow into the agent framework from the net?
-Or, does the agent call into the target environment when
is receives a particular query?

Code is well documented, if anyone can point to the appropriate
classes, I'm guessing I can find the answer there.

Thanks,
Chuck McP