[SNMP4J] ThreadPool in a J2EE environment

Brice Fines bfines at sermepa.es
Thu Apr 16 20:04:17 CEST 2009

Dear Franck,

I am using SNMP4J 1.9.3d in a J2EE environment (server IBM Websphere 6.1).

As stated in the FAQ, I have to configure the SNMP4J library using the
SNMP4JSettings class.
You did well in providing a way to inject custom thread and timer
factories, since no thread should be started on his own outside of the
J2EE container.
I am trying to integrate SNMP4J with CommonJ (scheduling framework in IBM
WAS and BEA WebLogic server).

But, studying the source code, I noticed that
SNMP4Settings.getThreadFactory() method is called from
DefaultUdpTransportMapping.java and DefaultTcpTransportMapping.java, but
it is not used in ThreadPool class.
Instead of that (correct me if I am wrong), ThreadPool class instantiates
its own threads (TaskManager extends Thread) and that should not be
allowed in a J2EE environment.

Please, can you change SNMP4J so that  ThreadPool get his threads from the
ThreadFactory?
Thanks.

Suggestion for future versions:
_ provide documentation and examples for integration in J2EE environment
_ provide support/make integration easier with more scheduling frameworks
(CommonJ,Quartz,...)

Thanks for your work on SNMP4J.

Regards
Brice