[SNMP4J] Configure agent address (SNMPv3-informs)

Kai Wiemer k_aexon at web.de
Wed Aug 5 09:31:30 CEST 2009

Hi,

we are using SNMP4J in a project and due to security reasons we
currently switched from v1 to v3. In more detail SNMP4J is used in the
context of automated tests. By sending traps respectively informs we
force our application (under test) to communicate (snmpgets) with a
SNMP (v3) capable agent and to update or create certain data records
in the underlying database.

The key point is that the inform-sender is a different "agent"
(automated tests) than the one our application communicates with.

So A sends informs to B and B communicates with C.

To do so it is necessary our application knows which agents sent the
trap/inform and reverse to manipulate the sender's IP address. Using
org.snmp4j.PDUv1 objects it was easy to configure the agent's address
by calling void org.snmp4j.PDUv1.setAgentAddress(IpAddress arg0). Now
that we switched to SNMPv3 and using org.snmp4j.ScopedPDU I don't see
any obvious chance to configure the agent's address.

To cut a long story short: how can i configure the agent's IP address
using SNMPv3-informs?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Kai