[SNMP4J] BER and ASN.1

Michael Yap michael at tecforte.com
Tue Aug 11 06:58:05 CEST 2009

Hey guys, started with SNMP4j not too long ago. Was writing a web app to
capture and analyze snmp traps from the devices in my infrastructure.
Everything's set up very nicely and we're able to capture the traps but
we're getting to a point where we now need to understand the values of the
OIDs in order to analyze the logs and make sense of them. Hence we need to
deal with ASN.1 and BER. Didn't really find anything in SNMP4j to help out
with that and was wondering if we've missed something. Conceptually we're
looking for something that can parse BER strings into java objects so the
application and process them accordingly.

Thanks fellas.

-Michael-