[SNMP4J] Reception of traps not working for me.

darrick darrickc at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 22:09:56 CET 2009

Looking at the example in the Snmp4j java docs I tried to implement a trap
receiver but it is never getting executed. To ensure that the traps are
actually being sent I am using iReasoning's MIB browser which has its own
trap sender and trap receiver. The receiver is getting traps from both the
trap receiver and a xerox printer that I have setup to send traps. I checked
my windows box and made sure that the windows snmp services were all shut
off. Any ideas? Below is my code:

Address targetAddress =
GenericAddress.parse("udp:127.0.0.1/162");
TransportMapping transport = null;
 try
{
transport = new DefaultUdpTransportMapping();
 }
catch ( IOException e1 )
{
 // TODO_djc Auto-generated catch block
e1.printStackTrace();
}

Snmp snmp = new Snmp(transport);

CommandResponder trapPrinter = new CommandResponder() {
 public synchronized void processPdu(final CommandResponderEvent e) {
wasHit = true;
 PDU command = e.getPDU();
if (command != null) {
 System.out.println(command.toString());