[SNMP4J] How to perform OctetString values from Windows SNMP trap variable bindings

Anton Boronnikov anton at tibbo.com
Wed Jul 22 09:39:35 CEST 2009

I configured snmp agent in my Windows XP. Then I generate some events
leading to sending a trap.
So I catch this traps. There are some variable bindings with oids such as
"1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.13.1.9999.1.0". I did not find any mib file describing
this oids. And it seems that there is no such mib.
The problem is how to perform this variable values. As I can not get mib
symbol I can not obtain variable syntax. If I have no syntax I don't know
how to convert variable value.
Variable values are OctetString objects. And the first value is event
description string (on Russian language, because my Windows XP is Russian)
encoded to OctetString. I could do this:
byte[] bytes = ((OctetString) var).toByteArray();
String decodedValue = new String(bytes);
But. I can not do this for each variable value contained in trap. What if
it is an IP Address? Or Mac address? Or something else that I should
decode simply as var.toString() ?
Did somebody face my problem? How to perform Windows snmp trap variable
OctetString value if we don't know anything about its oid?

--
At your service.
Anton Boronnikov