[SNMP4J] SNMP4J agent - different behaviour with different clients

Young, Alistair alistair.young at logica.com
Tue Mar 10 11:26:03 CET 2009

Hi,

I've just started working with SNMP4J (and SNMP in general), and have
been very impressed with how quickly the library has helped me to get
something up and running.  However, I could use a little help.

I've built a very simple agent based upon TestAgent, and I've tried it
with two separate clients: net-snmp's snmpget and the graphical browser
Mibble.  When I use net-snmp, I successfully retrieve the value I'm
looking for.  Mibble, however, times out.

With the help of a packet sniffer, and plenty of debug information, I've
uncovered the following...

net-snmp snmpget:

*	net-snmp issues a non-specific 'get', specifying no engine ID,
boot count or time
*	agent responds with 1.3.6.1.6.3.15.1.1.4.0 ('unknown engine ID')
- the report includes the correct engine ID, plus boot count and time
both set to zero
*	net-snmp issues a 'get' for the desired OID, with the correct
engine ID, plus boot count and time both set to zero
*	agent responds with 1.3.6.1.6.3.15.1.1.2.0 ('not in time
window') - the report includes the correct engine ID, plus correct boot
count and time
*	net-snmp issues a 'get' for the desired OID, with the correct
engine ID, plus correct boot count and time
*	agent responds with the requested information

Mibble:

*	Mibble issues a 'get' for the desired OID, with the incorrect
engine ID and some non-zero values for boot count and time
*	agent throws some exceptions (Mibble retries a number of times,
each time causing an exception)
*	the Mibble request times out

The exception (manually transcribed, so forgive any typos!) is:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.snmp4j.mp.MPv3.prepareDataElements(MPv3.java:1103)
    at
org.snmp4j.MessageDispatcherImpl.dispatchMessage(MessageDispatcherImpl.j
ava:263)

I'm using SNMP v3 with an 'authNoPriv' user.  I'm building against
snmp4j-1.9.3d and snmp4j-agent-1.2.2.

I've also tried querying a net-snmp agent using both client tools.  With
net-snmp as the agent, both client tools get the value they're looking
for.

Can anybody help to explain what is going on?  Might I have
misconfigured by agent in some way?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Alistair.

Please help Logica to respect the environment by not printing this email  /  Merci d'aider Logica à préserver l'environnement en évitant d'imprimer ce mail /  Bitte drucken Sie diese Nachricht nicht aus und helfen Sie so Logica dabei die Umwelt zu schuetzen  /  Por favor ajude a Logica a respeitar o ambiente não imprimindo este correio electrónico.