[SNMP4J] Unknown Engine ID from TestAgent (using MIB Exploxer)

Mark Clements mark.clements at vega.de
Mon Mar 23 17:50:58 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm a relative newbie at this! I keep getting the response "Unknown
Engine ID" within my TestAgent when receiving requests from MIB
Explorer, and for the life of me I don't know why!

The relevant items (I think) within my agent based upon the defined USM
User "LMCTEST" are:

vacm.addGroup(SecurityModel.SECURITY_MODEL_USM,

            new OctetString("LMCTEST"),

            new OctetString("v3group"),

            StorageType.nonVolatile);

vacm.addAccess(new OctetString("v3group"), new OctetString(),

                   SecurityModel.SECURITY_MODEL_USM,

                   SecurityLevel.NOAUTH_NOPRIV,

                   MutableVACM.VACM_MATCH_EXACT,

                   new OctetString("fullReadView"),

                   new OctetString("fullWriteView"),

                   new OctetString("fullNotifyView"),

                   StorageType.nonVolatile);

  user = new UsmUser(new OctetString("LMCTEST"), null, null, null,
null);

  usm.addUser(user.getSecurityName(), null, user);

  usm.setEngineDiscoveryEnabled(true);

I am using MIB Explorer setup as follows:

- USM User: with name "LMCTEST", Principle Flag checked, no Auth or Priv
attributes defined (not used)

- Target: With the appropriate address and port, using the "LMCTEST"
user, and Discover Engine ID

When I attempt the "Discover Engine ID" in MIB Explorer, I always get
the error: Unknown Engine ID within the Agent:

 10125 [DefaultUDPTransportMapping_0.0.0.0/161] WARN
org.snmp4j.MessageDispatcherImpl  - 1.3.6.1.6.3.15.1.1.4.0

Also when I attempt to perform a Get operation from MIB Explorer I
always get the same Unknown Engine ID response within the Agent!!

Why is this???

Note that using SNMPv2 everything works fine.

Thanks very much in advance for any help - this Unknown Engine ID
response in SNMPv3 is driving me insane!