[SNMP4J] Authorization error when doing GET for SNMPv3

pradip de pradip.de at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 23:49:48 CEST 2009

Thanks Frank for the reply. I still cannot figure out where I am making an
error in providing the right view access to the user. I am pasting part of
the addViews(..) method and the addUsmUser(..) method for your convenience.
The agentConfig.SecName() is the security name that I am using with MD5 and
DES as the protocols.
The command I am using is
 snmpget -v 3 -u <secName>  -a MD5 -A <AuthPassphrase> -x DES -X
<PrivPassphrase> <IP address> OID

        vacm.addGroup(SecurityModel.SECURITY_MODEL_USM,
                new OctetString(agentConfig.getSecName()),
                new OctetString("v3group"),
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addAccess(new OctetString("v1v2group"), new OctetString(),
                SecurityModel.SECURITY_MODEL_ANY,
                SecurityLevel.NOAUTH_NOPRIV, VacmMIB.vacmExactMatch,
                new OctetString("fullReadView"),
                new OctetString("fullWriteView"),
                new OctetString("fullNotifyView"),
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addAccess(new OctetString("v3group"), new OctetString(),
                SecurityModel.SECURITY_MODEL_USM,
                SecurityLevel.AUTH_PRIV, VacmMIB.vacmExactMatch,
                new OctetString("fullReadView"),
                new OctetString("fullWriteView"),
                new OctetString("fullNotifyView"),
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addViewTreeFamily(new OctetString("fullReadView"), new
OID("1.3"),
                new OctetString(), VacmMIB.vacmViewIncluded,
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addViewTreeFamily(new OctetString("fullWriteView"), new
OID("1.3"),
                new OctetString(), VacmMIB.vacmViewIncluded,
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addViewTreeFamily(new OctetString("fullNotifyView"), new
OID("1.3"),
                new OctetString(), VacmMIB.vacmViewIncluded,
                StorageType.nonVolatile);

protected void addUsmUser(USM usm) {
        UsmUser user = new UsmUser(
                new OctetString(agentConfig.getSecName()),
                AuthMD5.ID,
                new OctetString(agentConfig.getAuthPassPhrase()),
                PrivDES.ID,
                new OctetString(agentConfig.getPrivPassPhrase()));
        usm.addUser(user.getSecurityName(), usm.getLocalEngineID(), user);

    }

thanks,
Pradip