[SNMP4J] Having Agent respond to SNMP get requests

pradip de pradip.de at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 00:47:01 CEST 2009

Hi,
I am trying to use the SNMP4J library to build my Agent and am using the
TestAgent as my basic template. I have a set of measurement data being
dynamically persisted in a database. I would want the agent to be able to
furnish these data set as responses to SNMP GETs.
1) Is it possible to intercept a snmpget packet in the TestAgent code and
manually construct its reply with the data that I want to send out? or,
2) Should I have to map the measurement data that I want to use into a MIB
and then have the Agent use that to reply to a snmpget?
   If 2, then how do I have the Agent maintain a dynamic MIB whose data is
changing because the dtaabase measurements are being updated.

I understand this is very high level but I would like some expert advice
before going in any direction. It would be easy for me if 1 were possible
but I would like to know how to implement 2 if that is the right way to go.
Thanks very much for any help.

regards,
Pradip