[SNMP4J] Getting Authentication Failure in V3 snmpget

pradip de pradip.de at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 19:39:51 CEST 2009

Hi,
I am getting an authentication failure when I do a SNMPGet for version 3 by
using
snmpwalk -v 3 -n "" -u <userName> -a MD5 -A "AuthPassword" -x DES -X
"PrivacyPassword" -l authPriv localhost <OID>.
The response I get is snmpget: Authentication failure (incorrect password,
community or key).
I checked the username , password are correctly set at the snmp agent for
both Auth and Priv.
The pertinent addViews() method code for the vacm view in the agent code is
as below.

vacm.addAccess(new OctetString("v3group"), new OctetString(),
                SecurityModel.SECURITY_MODEL_USM,
                SecurityLevel.AUTH_PRIV, VacmMIB.vacmExactMatch,
                new OctetString("fullReadView"),
                new OctetString("fullWriteView"),
                new OctetString("fullNotifyView"),
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
 vacm.addViewTreeFamily(new OctetString("fullReadView"), new OID("1.3"),
                new OctetString(), VacmMIB.vacmViewIncluded,
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
vacm.addViewTreeFamily(new OctetString("fullWriteView"), new OID("1.3"),
                new OctetString(), VacmMIB.vacmViewIncluded,
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
vacm.addViewTreeFamily(new OctetString("fullNotifyView"), new OID("1.3"),
                new OctetString(), VacmMIB.vacmViewIncluded,
                StorageType.nonVolatile);

I would really appreciate if somebody can point out what I could be possibly
doing wrong and if I am missing something which I should check.

thanks,
Pradip