[SNMP4J] Is SNMP4J safe for multiple threads concurrently using the same instance of class "Snmp" ?

Bh, Guruprasad (NSN - IN/Bangalore) guruprasad.bh at nsn.com
Wed Dec 15 05:12:33 CET 2010

Hi All,

Currently we are using the snmp.send(pdu, target) which is synchronous
mode of executing in SNMP4J.
The method call blocks untill the response is available from the NE, and
the response is returned to the method.

Now we are planning to execute the snmp.send(pdu, target) in multiple
threads with single instance of "snmp", So
Is SNMP4J safe for multiple threads concurrently using the same instance
of class "Snmp" ?

Or can we move to different approach that is, SNMP4J in asynchronous
mode
Using the Snmp.send(...,...,ResponseListener)  family of methods !!

Also can any one explain why we need to use
MultiThreadedMessageDispatcher instead of the default
MessageDispatcherImpl ?
Will it be thread-safe ?

Can anyone explain on this ?

Best Regards
Guruprasad B H
Nokia Siemens Networks
Operations Suppport Systems - Research and Development
COO OBS OSS RD OPL AMF MF2