[SNMP4J] SNMPv3 timing information

Peter Verthez Peter.Verthez at alcatel-lucent.com
Thu Jun 17 09:25:04 CEST 2010

Hello Frank,

I have a small question regarding SNMPv3 timing (engine boots, engine time).

We are managing an agent that does not behave entirely properly
regarding this timing: in some cases it resets the engine time back to
0, but without incrementing the engine boots.   What we see is that we
as manager are then sending requests according to our knowledge of the
engine boots/engine time, and these are - rightfully - rejected by the
agent, because our engine time is higher than the agent's engine time.
And the agent sends an SNMPv3 report with the usmStatsNotInTimeWindows
variable.   This is never resolved, unless we force a cleanup in SNMP4J
of the timing information for that agent.

Of course, the root cause (not incrementing the engine boots in the
agent) is a bug in the agent, but there is a discussion going on in our
team now what the proper behaviour of the manager should be.  The
discussion is whether in such cases, since we are the non-authoritative
engine in this exchange, the manager (and thus SNMP4J in this case)
should automatically do a rediscovery of the engine boots/engine time.
I couldn't immediately find an explanation in the RFCs to counter that
argument, but it is clear that SNMP4J does not do that.

Could you explain your view on this?

Best regards,
Peter.

--
Peter Verthez
Systems Engineer Network Mgt.

Alcatel-Lucent Bell NV
Copernicuslaan 50, 2018 Antwerp, Belgium
Fortis 220-0002334-42
VAT BE 0404 621 642 Register of Legal Entities Antwerp

***
This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.  Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited without the prior consent of its author.