[SNMP4J] SnapshotAgent

Mathieu Pelletier pelletim at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 17:24:57 CEST 2010

Hello,

I am running some performance tests on a SNMP agent simulation.
For that, I created a "walk file" from a Linux server (sysedge) using the
snmp4j CLI.

After that, I ran the SnapshotAgent using this dump file that contains
around 6,000 variables.

I would like to know what should be expected in term of performance
(PDU/sec) when you run a simulation using a dump file as input?

Although the simulation works perfectly, the agent is answering very slowly
to a walk.
I am comparing the walk request to a real walk on the server's SNMP agent.
The full walk takes 2 minutes to complete instead of ~1sec for the real
deal.

Is the snmp-agent library designed for this?
I would like to create SNMP simulators using walk file, like proprietary
vendors (Gammbit MIMIC, AdventNet...).

I ran the simulation on my laptop and on a Red Hat linux 64 bits (8GB RAM
and 4 Opteron CPU). Same results.

The HOST-MIB contains a lot of tables. The SnapshotAgent is basically
building a Tree using the OIDs references from the walk file instead of
specific SNMP4J classes.
Is it related to that?

Best regards