[SNMP4J] SNMP get with results that are too big...null response or error?

Mackay, Scott scott.mackay at progeny.net
Mon Mar 22 17:20:14 CET 2010

Hi, I am checking out how SNMP4J returns results when the results are too large for a single response.
I have a normal loop of send, check for a null response then check for the response error status.  For testing, I am using a net-snmp daemon which calls a small shell script, dumping the single line contents of a file.
I request 6 different OIDs (each dump the same content).  I see it work happy when the data is under 10000 bytes (pdu size limit of 65535 I think?).  When I push it to 12000 per message, instead of getting a response with a SNMPConstants.SNMP_ERROR_TOO_BIG, the ResponseEvent.getResponse() is null (so I cannot check the getResponse.getErrorStatus()).  When you ask for 1+ OIDs and the results are too big for the response, is there a different way to see if the results are too large?

-Scott