[SNMP4J] Thread count leads to SNMP response timeouts in snmp4j version 1.7.1

loaner45244 at mypacks.net loaner45244 at mypacks.net
Wed Jan 26 00:28:17 CET 2011

Hi All,

We're running an old version of snmp4j (v1.7.1) where we are
see-ing a peculiar behavior with respect to how snmp4j handles
SNMP responses if the thread count is increased.

Our default setting is 50 threads and when that value is increased to 150,
the SNMP response timeouts expire. We know that the peer has the ability
to send back responses even with 150 threads so any help in debugging this
would be appreciated.

In particular:

1. The usual suspect is that this may be just inherent behavior
   of the old stack. Can anyone confirm if they have seen similar issues?

2. What kind of debugging can be employ to understand this behavior? Are there
   logs that could identify the reason why timeouts may be occurring?

3. Are there any known enhancements to the latest snmp4j code that address
   performance and timeout issues seen in the past? (to make it worth pursuing).

Thanks,

HA