[SNMP4J] SnmpV3 timeout issue with system clock drift

Robert Pierce rpierce at actionpacked.com
Thu Nov 3 17:19:12 CET 2011

Hi,
We are encountering an issue with particular AMD processors in that the
system clock drifts causing the snmpV3 requests to timeout after some
point. Even once the clock gets resynched, the request will continue to
timeout.
Couple questions:

1) Initially, I would of expected a time not in window exception instead of
a timeout?
2) If I do a discoverAuthoritativeEngineID after it timeouts, the requests
starts working again. My question is it best practice to rediscover the
 engine ID on a timeout or exception? Or should I be looking at something
else, such as clearing the usm time table?

Thanks again for your help.
Robert