[SNMP4J] Remove entry in snmpCommunityTable does not actually remove the entry?

Binh Le lpbinh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 08:40:55 CET 2012

Hi Frank,

Thanks a lot for getting back to my question. I was using an Agent
derived from AgentConfigManager - and configure
snmpCommunityTable/vacm tables via snmpset command line from NetSNMP,
nothing special, no code involve..So I would assume that the
co-existence between snmpCommunityTable and other VACM tables are
handled in AgentConfigManager already.

To answer your questions:

1. The "secret" snmpCommunityName had been existed before, with
corresponding mapping to vacmSecurityToGroup and other related tables,
with full read-write access to the whole SNMP tree starting from 1.  I
removed the entry as you don't see it in the quoted MIBwalk result of
snmpCommunityTable in my first email. Another MIBwalk from top with a
grepping of "secret" show that there is no any existence of "secret"
in the whole MIB tree.
2. So it was removed successfully - see (1) above.
3. Yes, it still works after that.  I issue snmpwalk using the
community string "secret" in the example.

Any suggestion where I should look at and/or check?

Thanks,
Binh