[SNMP4J] Filling a shared table with two index columns from several processes not working

HAAS Christian Christian.Haas at frequentis.com
Mon Oct 1 12:03:48 CEST 2012

Hello again!

Months later I've been assigned again to this topic - and still struggle with the solution. (I've included the complete conversation below.)

For a start, I've switched the dependency of snmp4j from 1.10.2 to 2.1.0, which includes your extension code.

First I was struggling with getting the new IndexStrategy.anyNonAllocatedSubIndex into the DefaultAgentXSharedMOTable. Because at construction time, this one doesn't have a AgentXSharedMOTableSupport object set - and setting one doesn't seem to be helpful either, because AgentXSubagent.registerRegions() creates a new object and directly sets it - right before the call to AgentXSubagent.registerSharedTableRows().
Since I found no way to access or modify the table support, I created an extension of DefaultAgentXSharedMOTable which overwrites setAgentXSharedMOTableSupport() and sets the IndexStrategy on the passed object before passing it on to super.

I don't think that this is the proper way, but couldn't see any other. At least this then worked for the first process to let it fill in its first rows with combined keys.

But starting the second process that wanted to extend this table further failed again; The response code in AgentXSharedMOTableSupport.allocateIndex() was 260. Is this the problem you mentioned that NetSNMP itself can't work with combined keys?

As a cross test, I left the first process running and switched the IndexStrategy to IndexStrategy.anyNonAllocatedSubIndex . This one would be accepted by NetSNMP, but causes then an InvalidArgumentException in MOTableIndex.getIndexOID(), called from AgentXSharedMOTableSupport.allocateIndex(), while handling the response. The reason here is that the index has two entries, but allocateIndex() had the vbs variable reset to be an array of size 1 just before (in the switch for the strategy).
(This exception was also thrown when I was using all the default code, i.e. no overriding of setAgentXSharedMOTableSupport() )

I'm sorry, but I'm still lost about how to use this. Do you have any advice what I should change?

Kind regards,
ch
Christian Haas
Software Engineer
FREQUENTIS AG

Innovationsstraße 1, 1100 Vienna, Austria
Phone   +43-1-811 50 – 8353
Mobile   +43-664-60 850 – 8353
Fax       +43-1-811 50 – 77 8353
Web      www.frequentis.com
E-Mail    christian.haas at frequentis.com

Handelsgericht Wien (Vienna Commercial Court): FN 72115 b
DVR 0364797, ATU 14715600
Diese E-Mail könnte vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser E-Mail sind nicht gestattet.
This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.