[SNMP4J] Intercepting gets and sets from the Network Manager to individual cells in an MOTable

Charan, Brad Brad.Charan at fpx.com
Thu Apr 4 18:32:12 CEST 2013

We have been tasked to create an SNMP agent for our application.   Our application can have multiple instances within the same JVM, and we have been able to create an agent using MOTables that shows each instance as a row in a table to the Network Manager.    However we are struggling with how to go about intercepting the 'getValue' or 'setValue' to each cell in this table as we have been able to do quite easily for MOScalar - by simply subclassing it and over-riding the getValue and setValue methods.

We don't see the analogue for the MOScalar getValue/setValue in DefaultMOTable.    So, we tried using VariantVariable for each cell in the table.  However, we have found that the VariantVariable is overwritten when a set is received by the SNMP4J from the NetworkManager.  So, the VariantVariableCallback 'updateVariable' works well, until a 'set' is received from the Network Manager -- after which the VariantVariableCallback stops working because the VariableVariable object appears to have been de-referenced.

What is the best way to implement this scenario such that we can intercept the sets and gets to each cell in the table?

Brad Charan
FPX LLC
Bloomington, MN, USA

This message may contain confidential information, if you are not the intended addressee, please inform us immediately that you have received this e-mail in error, and delete it. We thank you for your cooperation.