[SNMP4J] enable SNMP monitoring for Java app with existing MBeans

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Thu Feb 21 01:25:37 CET 2013

Hi David,

Please find my comments inline below:
Am 19.02.2013 11:10, schrieb david pocivalnik:
> but, I don't understand some details.
> - why would I need, or, when would I need to pass on "MIB module name
> that defines the textual conventions", and "textualConvention the object
> name of the textual convention on which this scalar is based"; as done
> in the example implementation. e.g.
>       jvmClassesVerboseLevel =
> moFactory.createScalar(oidJvmClassesVerboseLevel,
>         moFactory.createAccess(MOAccessImpl.ACCESSIBLE_FOR_READ_WRITE),
> new Integer32(),TC_MODULE_JVM_MANAGEMENT_MIB, TC_JVMVERBOSELEVELTC);
If the MIB specification uses Textual Conventions to define special types
used by the MIB objects, then the MOFactory can delegate the necessary
value check creation to such an object that represents the textual
convention.
> - when do I need a MOTable, or let's rephrase it, what would I need to
> have in the MBean to be needing a MOTable ?
I have tried to answer that question at the FAQ:
https://oosnmp.net/confluence/x/AoBL

> - the OID's I'm using start with "1.3.6.1.4.", when adding a View (in
> the agent, vacm.addViewTreeFamily) I thought that when removing
> vacm.addViewTreeFamily(new OctetString("fullReadView"), new OID("1.3"),
> new OctetString(), VacmMIB.vacmViewIncluded, StorageType.nonVolatile);
> I would only get an error back, but I again received the value.
It seems that there is another view associated with the group mapped to
your user that allows access to the OID.
> - I also couldn't figure out how notificationSupport is bound to a MBean
I will add a How-to to the FAQ wiki until Friday.

> - with SNMP it is possible to set and get values, but just to be sure, i
> can't call a method from an SNMP manager that returns void, but executes
> the method called?
SNMP4J-AgentJMX provides MBeanActionMOScalarSupport to support actions
(= method call)
on scalars:
http://www.snmp4j.org/agentJMX/doc/org/snmp4j/agent/mo/jmx/MBeanActionMOScalarSupport.html

The mapping of the action parameters is provided through MBeanActionInfo.

---
AGENT++
Maximilian-Kolbe-Str. 10
73257 Koengen, Germany