[SNMP4J] NPE in pduHandleAssigned

pierre.rust at orange.com pierre.rust at orange.com
Fri Oct 11 10:45:15 CEST 2013

Hi,

I'm using SNMP4J and I'm sometime getting an NPE in pduHandleAssigned :

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.snmp4j.Snmp$PendingRequest.pduHandleAssigned(Snmp.java:1624)
at org.snmp4j.Snmp$PendingRequest.pduHandleAssigned(Snmp.java:1485)
at org.snmp4j.MessageDispatcherImpl.sendPdu(MessageDispatcherImpl.java:495)
at org.snmp4j.Snmp.sendMessage(Snmp.java:1005)
at org.snmp4j.Snmp$PendingRequest.run(Snmp.java:1666)
at java.util.Timer$TimerImpl.run(Timer.java:284)

Given that the line 1624 is :  "timer.schedule(this, delay);" , I assume the timer is null.

It might be that this happens when closing SNMP4J with an ongoing PendingRequest  (in close(),  line 509, timer is set to null) but I'm unfortunately not able to confirm this assumption : the problem only happens "on the field" and I never reproduce it in debug.

In can upgrade to 2.2.2, but I don't see any relevant difference in the (potentially offending) code.

Do you have any idea of what I could do investigate this issue ?

thanks a lot for the good work,

Pierre Rust

Thank you.