[SNMP4J] No snmp response from a server with multiple NICs and IP addresses

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Tue Dec 1 00:10:17 CET 2015

Hi,

The NMS should be fixed. That is the only way to fix it standard conform.
For SNMPv3 messages, the msgId is the only lookup key for responses.
Engine ID and security name must also match, but the lookup is done by
the message ID only (not with the IP address).

Thus, the command responder may send its response from a different IP
address. Nevertheless, the engine ID in the response (which typically
contains also an
IP address to make it unique) must match the authoritative engine ID used
in the request.