[SNMP4J] Set USM security parameters per request

Ronald Braswell rpbraswell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 00:01:49 CET 2017

I have code which calls USM.removeEngineTime(engineID) that I use to enable
the re-discovery process again for a device with which my SNMP manager has
lost communications.   This works for several devices.   But one device has
problems.

If I call USM.removeEngineTime(engineID) for this device before it comes
back up, when it does come back up the requests go out with a reboots
parameter of 0 but with a time parameter > 0 indicating the time since the
call to removeEngineTime.   The device does not respond to this.  If I do
another removeEngineTime after the device comes back up the time security
parameter is 0 as well as the reboots parameter and it works.   The problem
is that I don't know when the device comes back up since it does not send a
trap or notification indicating this.   When I call my function
(resetUsmUser(securityName))  it resets all TimeTableEntries with
securityName even if the entry is not the localized one for the device
having the problem.   I have a number of like devices using the same USM
security name and passphrases.   I would prefer the ones still up not have
to go through the discovery process as well.    I would like to be able to
set the reboots, time for the request to 0 just for a particular request
going to the particular device.

Is there a way to do this with SNMP4J?    Is there a away in the SNMP4J API
to tell which localized UserTableEntry belongs to a particular device (USM
discovery process enabled)?

Ron