[SNMP4J] False positives reported by "OWASP Dependency check"

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Thu Apr 26 22:07:22 CEST 2018

Hi,

In the last days many question reached me about false positives reported by the OWASP Dependency check about SNMP4J libraries. The reports read as follows:

The snmp_pdu_parse function in snmp_api.c in net-snmp 5.7.2 and earlier does not remove the varBind variable in a netsnmp_variable_list item when parsing of the SNMP PDU fails, which allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) and possibly execute arbitrary code via a crafted packet.
CVSS:	7.5
URL:	CVE-2015-5621
CWE:	CWE-19 Data Handling

Those reports are FALSE positives and are completed unfounded!
A bug report for the OWASP Dependency Check tool has been created regarding this issue.

See also my statement in the SNMP4J FAQ at:
https://oosnmp.net/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=29720580 <https://oosnmp.net/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=29720580>

Best regards,
Frank Fock