[SNMP4J] SNMPv3 -> SNMP4J 3.0.2 (also 3.0.x?)

Marian Wendt MWendt at ibes.ag
Mon Oct 15 10:16:34 CEST 2018

Hi,

I experience some behaviour that makes me think there is something wrong with USM.java
Near line 380 the authetication key and privacy key is not retrieved from "UsmUser" and result in NULL.
I corrected this with the following changes...

            AuthenticationProtocol auth = securityProtocols.getAuthenticationProtocol(user.getUsmUser().getAuthenticationProtocol());
            PrivacyProtocol priv = securityProtocols.getPrivacyProtocol(user.getUsmUser().getPrivacyProtocol());

            usmSecurityParams.setAuthenticationProtocol(auth);
            usmSecurityParams.setPrivacyProtocol(priv);

            //usmSecurityParams.setAuthenticationKey(user.getAuthenticationKey());
            usmSecurityParams.setAuthenticationKey(user.getUsmUser().getAuthenticationPassphrase().toByteArray());
            //usmSecurityParams.setPrivacyKey(user.getPrivacyKey());
            usmSecurityParams.setPrivacyKey(user.getUsmUser().getPrivacyPassphrase().toByteArray());

            usmSecurityParams.setUserName(user.getUsmUser().getSecurityName());
            usmSecurityParams.setAuthoritativeEngineID(secEngineID.getValue());

After that, the SNMPv3 trap sending is working correct but still has:

trace: usm_parse_security_parameters(): snmpusm.c, 2052:
dumph_recv:     msgAuthenticationParameters
trace: usm_process_in_msg(): snmpusm.c, 2385:
usm: Parsing failed (rc -1).
trace: snmpv3_parse(): snmp_api.c, 3784:
dumph_recv:     ScopedPDU
trace: _snmp_parse(): snmp_api.c, 4162:
snmp_parse: Parsed SNMPv3 message (secName:your-security-name, secLevel:authPriv): USM parse error
trace: _sess_process_packet(): snmp_api.c, 5249:
sess_process_packet: received message id#6744 reqid#0 len 210
trace: _sess_process_packet(): snmp_api.c, 5252:
sess_process_packet: parse fail
trace: _sess_read(): snmp_api.c, 5542:
sess_read: not reading 7 (fdset 0x7ffce2c22a60 set 0)
trace: _sess_read(): snmp_api.c, 5542:
sess_read: not reading 5 (fdset 0x7ffce2c22a60 set 0)
trace: _sess_read(): snmp_api.c, 5542:
sess_read: not reading 3 (fdset 0x7ffce2c22a60 set 0)
trace: snmp_sess_select_info2_flags(): snmp_api.c, 6051:
sess_select: for all sessions: 9 7 5 3

(log output from snmptrapd on linux)
So I think there is still something wrong with the library...

Best regards
ibes AG - we create more value with IT.

Management board: Tino M?ller, Jens Schwendel, Frank Lippmann
Chairman of the supervisory board: Prof. Dr. Reinhardt Nindel
Trade register: Amtsgericht Chemnitz HRB 28538
info at ibes.ag | www.ibes.ag | www.sercam.de