[SNMP4J] Timeout issue with snmp4j-2.3.4.jar

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Tue Apr 16 21:49:41 CEST 2019

Hi Mark,

Increasing the timeout is only helpful, if the agent could be in a CPU overload situation or if there is a network congestion by large IP packets.
In your case, the agent seems to simply “forget” to process the request, maybe by an overload or other task, maybe because the UDP receive buffer is flooded.

To be sure, that the agent is the problem you could sniff on the network with Wireshark for example.

Your code seems to be creating a Snmp instance and USM for each requests, which is total overkill. Especially, the calling “listen()” is very “expensive” because it binds a network port. Doing this every second could easily block all ports on your system and might cause a high CPU load - because the SNMPv3 keys need to be calculated each time fresh.
Please reuse the Snmp and the associated USM for all subsequent requests.