Mib table implementation detail

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Fri Apr 21 10:55:03 CEST 2000

Hello Jyotsna,

please see my coments below:

Jyotsna Laxminarayanan wrote:

> Could you help us with this scenario. I am designing
> a mib table that relies on an external (non SNMP) object
> to hold all its data. So to avoid duplication, I would
> like to get away without ever "populating" the table. All
> gets/sets would be delegated using appropriate API to the
> external object. Similarly, calls to find the next index
> would be propagated to the external object as well.

You can do this with by subclassing MibTable. All relevant
methods are virtual. You have to override a couple of
methods, for example MibTable::find_next(const Oidx&),
MibTable::find_succ(const Oidx&, Request*),
MibTable::is_empty(), as well as

MibTable::get_request
MibTable::prepare_set_request
MibTable::commit_set_request
MibTable::undo_set_request
MibTable::cleanup_set_request

> Does this sound feasible ? Do you have any quick
> suggestions off-hand about implementations ? Or is
> this just a no-no?

Unfortunately, I havn't got an example. But anyway, at
little expense it should be possible to create such a
MibTable subclass.

I am trying to implement a proposal of such a table
for the v3.4 release.