AgentX with ucd snmp

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Mon Jul 24 19:54:13 CEST 2000

Majdi Abuelbassal wrote:

> Now what is the best configuration to integrate the Agent++ agent with the
> UCD snmp agent?

It depends on your configuration. If you need notification filtering,
support for the AgentX MIB, or context support for AgentX then
you should use AGENT++ as master agent.

On the other hand, if most of the MIB objects you need for the
management of your entire system are support only by the UCD
agent, then I would recommend using the UCD agent as master.
(Because of the better overall performance, when the amount of
proxied MIB objects is minimized)

> Is it configuring Agent++ agent as Master and UCD as sub-agent or
> vise-versa? and what would you think about the reliability and stability of
> such configuration?

Both configurations should be reliable. However there is a problem when
using the UCD agent (with its private MIB group activated) as subagent
of an AGENT++ master. The Opaque MIB objects of that private MIB
are not returned by the UCD subagent. This a problem of the UCD agent
which is already reported and which will be hopefully fixed in upcoming
releases.

Hope that helps?