AgentX with ucd snmp

Frank Fock frank.fock____marconi.com
Tue Jul 25 09:52:17 CEST 2000

Frank Fock wrote:

> Majdi Abuelbassal wrote:
>
> > Now what is the best configuration to integrate the Agent++ agent with the
> > UCD snmp agent?
>
> It depends on your configuration. If you need notification filtering,
> support for the AgentX MIB, or context support for AgentX then
> you should use AGENT++ as master agent.

I forgot some points to mention here. The following excerpt from the
README.agentx of the UCD 4.1.2 package lists some issues that may
speak for AgentX++ as master agent, because these issues do not apply
to AgentX++:

        - Contexts
                The UCD agent does not currently handle
                non-default contexts at all.  The AgentX
                elements simply ignore the context field.

        - Repeated sub-agent failures
                If a GetNext request to a subagent fails to
                return an acceptable response, the request
                will then be passed on to the next MIB module.
                  If this also fails to respond successfully,
                then the agent may not keep trying correctly.

        - Timeouts
                The master agent does not currently handle
                tardy responses from a subagent.
                  The register of MIB regions does not record
                the associated timeouts.

        - GETNEXT ranges
                The end range of an AgentX GetNext request is
                not set correctly by the master agent, or
                interpreted by the subagent.

(The GETNEXT ranges issue, by the way, is fixed in 4.1.2 release)

        - AgentX GETBULK
                The master agent will handle an SNMP GetBulk
                request using a sequence of AgentX GetNext calls.
                The subagent GetBulk handling _should_ work
                correctly, but this has not been tested.

        - AgentX MIB
                This has not yet been implemented.