snmp++ trap or NotificationOriginator?

Jochen Katz katz____telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Nov 29 13:22:19 CET 2000

Hi,

> I can send traps using either the snmp++ trap or the NotificationOriginator,
> but I'm quite not sure which one I should use.  Or does it matter? When should
> I use one and not the other?

that only depends on your needs. SnmpRequest::trap() is easier to use,
but it is not as powerful as the NotificationOriginator, i.e. you will
have to implement routines that determine to which agent(s) traps or
notifications with which SNMP version and community/user should be sent.
The NotificationOriginator uses the Target- and Notification-Tables
where several managers can create entries if they wish to receive traps
or notifications.

Some time ago I used SnmpRequest::trap() for an agent, as the manager
address was known on startup and didn't change during runtime.