Questions regarding AgentX++

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Fri Sep 1 21:25:55 CEST 2000

Jay_Riddell____enron.net wrote:

> 1)  I see that TCP is being used by AgentX++.  I assume that is for the
> Sub Agent <----> Master Agent communication.  Does your product support
> TCP communication to the Master Agent (from the NMS) ?
> (I realize that that is not "true" SNMP, but other products do support it.)

SNMP over TCP is not supported, however SNMP++ could be extended
to support it.

> 2)  I am interested in integrating an SNMP Sub Agent into our existing
> daemons.  However, our product line has exacting timing requirements.
> Do any of Agent++, SNMP++ or AgentX++ involve multi-threading ?

SNMP++ is not multithreaded (i.e., thread save). AGENT++ as well as
AgentX++ for subagents can be used with multi-threading enabled or
disabled. AgentX++ for master agents needs multi-threading enabled.

> Polling in a small loop ?

You can control the timeout for the agent's select on the SNMP
socket. If timeout is set to 0, it won't block.

> Ideally, I would like to add your File Descriptor to our select loop for
> processing.  Would that be practical ?

Yes, with a small change to the AGENT++ library.
The Snmpx class would need a method that returns the file descriptor.
I will include such a method in the next update for AGENT++.

> 3)  I have not written any C++.  Our code is in C.  I understand the history
> and relationship between C and C++.  Would you know if integrating the
> C++ libraries would cause my daemons any undue memory or CPU
> usage issues ?

Not necessarily. It really depends on your environment and the definition
of "undue". In general C++ tends to be more memory consuming than C,
but this is not a must. C++ needs more time for calling (dispatching) virtual
functions (tables) than calling C functions, but this may be compensated by
the "better" structure of the program.

Hopefully, these answer help you.

Regards,
Frank Fock