How to use one agent mib-2 system values in another agent trap ?

Eitan Pilipski eitanp____qualcomm.com
Wed Apr 25 20:11:24 CEST 2001

Hi,

I want to send Trap with mib-2 system objects (for example sysName) from my
private agent.
My agent is running on Solaris machine with another native Solaris agent
that already implements mib-2, so I want to "use" the Solaris agent sysName
value in my agent Trap.

I created the following Trap object in my ASN:

adsTestRequestOnAlarmEvent NOTIFICATION-TYPE
OBJECTS { sysName }
STATUS current
DESCRIPTION " "
::= { adsTestRequestAlarm 1 }

( I'm importing from SNMPv2-MIB)

The code generated by agentgen is:

void adsTestRequestOnAlarmEvent::generate(Vbx* vbs, int sz, const OctetStr&
context)
{
         //--AgentGen BEGIN=adsTestRequestOnAlarmEvent::generate
         //--AgentGen END
         if (sz < 1) {
                 LOG_BEGIN(ERROR_LOG | 1);
                 LOG("adsTestRequestOnAlarmEvent: too few var binds (given)
(expected)");
                 LOG(sz);
                 LOG(1);
                 LOG_END;
                 return;
         }
         if (!(vbs[0].get_oid().in_subtree_of("1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0"))) {
                 LOG_BEGIN(ERROR_LOG | 1);
                 LOG("adsTestRequestOnAlarmEvent: wrong var bind (no.)
(given) (expected)");
                 LOG(1l);
                 LOG(vbs[0].get_printable_oid());
                 LOG("1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0");
                 LOG_END;
                 return;
         }
         NotificationOriginator::generate(vbs, sz,
oidAdsTestRequestOnAlarmEvent, "", context);
}

Obviously, the method is checking for the OID, but since it's not
implemented in my agent the bind will fail.

My question is what is the right approach to solve this issue:
A. to override adsTestRequestOnAlarmEvent::generate and to open a request
to Solaris agent (running on port 161)
B. to implement mib-2 in my agent
C. ?

I'm in favor of option 1, but I was wondering if there is a better way ?
Thanks

Eitan P.
Ext. 57327