type conversion...

Sean mathewss____nutech.com
Fri Aug 17 23:23:19 CEST 2001

 Im a little confused about the class design
it does not seem to provide any easy method of
converting result get's from one type to another..

 If i request the uptime from an snmp device the
TimeTicks class is used to hold the value. If I want
the data from here i can only seem to be able
to access it via get_printable() this returns nice
data for a human to read but not very good for a program
to digest.. Is there any easy way to get values
from this class as a unsigned long etc..

currently i would use
vbl[0].get_printable
accessing any private members is no good so i cant
do
(long)vbl[0].iv_vb_value->smival.value.uNumber
any ideas would be appreciated.. I realy dont
want to spoil the classes by addeing members
if its not needed but it seems to me that
there needs to be some common overide class
involved where we can do something like.

(long)vbl[0].get_cast()
(int)vbl[0].get_cast()
(char *)vbl[0].get_cast()

 etc where if its actual a long value the (char *) cast
would covert it to a string via an ltoa...

--
 Regards
  Sean Mathews Nu Tech CTO

struct SoftwareProfessional {