Question about table index

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Fri Aug 24 01:19:41 CEST 2001

Hello Christian,

I saw the corresponding thread in comp.protocols.snmp, so I am
only discuss additional aspects below:

"Bettendorf, Cristian" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> a short question not related to agent++...
>
> In SMIv2 the columnar objects part of the table index must be defined as
> "not-accesible".
>
> In my case I MUST read the values in order to perform all check operations
> depending on the master-detail relation of my snmp tables! And how can a
> manager represent the data in a user friendly report?

It could get the INDEX information from the instance suffix portion of the
objects' OIDs. Most NMS do that but there are also some "old-fashioned"
ones...

> E.g. I have a 1:n relation between the master and the detail table. If a
> manager perform a table report for the detail table, its very hard to
> identify which rows are related to a specific master row (e.g. HP OpenView->
> Build SNMP applications -> Table application), since the report don't
> include any index information or oid...
>
> Also is the definition of index objects as "not-accesible" really mandatory?

No, you may define read-only INDEX objects. Although this is not directly
supported by MIB Designer (because it is discouraged by SMIv2) you can
do it and AGENT++ will support it too.