SNMPv3 engine id problem

Lukasz Szczepankowski lukasz____nnu.com
Mon Dec 3 19:53:42 CET 2001

I have applied the patch from Jochen (see couple of message ago), and I have
my agent working again.  However, I notices another potential problem.  I
have a small Windows utility which communicates with my agent, hiding all
SNMP related details from the user.  The utility also uses the snmp++
library.  After I applied the patch, everything worked, except for this
Windows utility.  I recompiled the Windows utility with the newest version
of snmp++, and now it works too.

I understand the problem is with setting the engine id, but I did not make
any changes to my programs, so I am assuming the snmp++ library handles the
engine id differently from what it used to do.  My problem is that if I
release a new version of the agent, no one with the older version of the
Windows utility will be able to communicate with the new agent, right?  If
so, is there anything I can do (to the agent) that would eliminate this
problem?

Thanks,

Lukasz Szczepankowski