SNMPv3 engine id problem

Jochen Katz katz____agentpp.com
Sat Dec 8 15:54:53 CET 2001

Hi,

> I understand the problem is with setting the engine id, but I did not make
> any changes to my programs, so I am assuming the snmp++ library handles the
> engine id differently from what it used to do.

yes, it does no longer tolerate a missing contextEngineID in PDUs. As
older snmp++ applications don't set the id in all cases, newer programs
don't accept these messages.

>  My problem is that if I
> release a new version of the agent, no one with the older version of the
> Windows utility will be able to communicate with the new agent, right?  If
> so, is there anything I can do (to the agent) that would eliminate this
> problem?

The only thing you can do is to modify snmp++ to accept such messages.
You would have to change the file mp_v3.cpp: The complete if construct
that sets the errorCode to SNMPv3_MP_UNKNOWN_PDU_HANDLERS after the
check of the contextEngineID could be commented out.

Kind regards,