SNMPv3 through satellite and dialup on return

Ram Krishnaswamy RKrishnaswamy____pathfire.com
Tue Feb 20 00:06:26 CET 2001

Hello all,

I recently downloaded the agent++ and snmp++ toolkit and I have compiled it
for the Windows NT environment. Having played with it briefly, I have my
doubts whether it will fit our environment as is. If not, can you provide me
suggestions as to how it will fit our environment?

Our environment:

We want to be able to monitor and manage 1000 or more sites. The
connectivity from the SNMP Manager to the SNMP agent at each site is going
over satellite (one-way. There is no return path through the satellite). The
return channel is through a dialup. At each site, the SNMP agent node
(windows nt) is going to have 5 interfaces.

- Do you forsee any problems in terms of routing SNMP messages in the above
environment?
- For a getnext request in SNMPv3 format, does the manager and agent
communicate more than once? Seems like it does when I ran the atm-mib
example.
- How would I limit the log messages put on the screen? I tried to add
NO_LOGGING to the preprocessor but that did not work. Is there something
else I have to do?
- How do I tell the SNMP agent to listen to one of the 5 interfaces?

Thanks for your help.

Ram Krishnaswamy
ramk at pathfire.com