Proxy forwarder question

Ram Krishnaswamy RKrishnaswamy____pathfire.com
Mon Feb 26 00:26:16 CET 2001

Hello Frank,

I apologize that I have to bother you again regarding the proxy forwarding
configuration. Actually, I was looking to see whether some other mailing
list could answer my question instead of agent++ but I could not find it. If
you know of one, please pass it through.

Meanwhile, I have been advancing a little bit but still not been able to
configure the snmp_proxy agent example to forward SNMPv1 requests and get
the responses back. At this point, seems like it is forwarding it but it
times out immediately. There is something wrong with my configuration of the
proxy.

When I send a request from the manager entity, I send the following:

Security user name: MD5DES
Context name: dellserv
Context Engine Id: public

MD5DES is defined as it came in the example so I send the right priv and
auth passwords.

Here is what I have in terms of table entries on the agent side:

snmpProxyTable
--------------

Instance: proxy
snmpProxyName(IDX, IMP): not avaliable
snmpProxyType: read(1)
snmpProxyContextEngineID: public
snmpProxyContextName: dellserv
snmpProxyTargetParamsIn: defaultV1Request (the name is a misnomer)
snmpProxySingleTargetOut: dellbox
snmpProxyMultipleTargetOut:
snmpProxyStorageType: nonVolatile(3)
snmpProxyRowStatus: active(1)

snmpTargetParamsTable: (one for defaultV1Request and one for dellv1)
----------------------

Instance: defaultV1Request
snmpTargetParamsName(IDX, IMP): not available
snmpTargetParamsMPModel: 3
snmpTargetParamsSecurityModel: 3
snmpTargetParamsSecurityName: MD5DES
snmpTargetParamsSecurityLevel: authPriv(3)
snmpTargetParamsStorageType: nonVolatile(3)
snmpTargetParamsRowStatus: active(1)

Instance: dellv1
snmpTargetParamsName(IDX, IMP): not available
snmpTargetParamsMPModel: 0
snmpTargetParamsSecurityModel: 1
snmpTargetParamsSecurityName: MD5DES // I am not sure whether I should be
using this?? But where is
this used?
snmpTargetParamsSecurityLevel: noAuthPriv(1)
snmpTargetParamsStorageType: nonVolatile(3)
snmpTargetParamsRowStatus: active(1)

snmpTargetAddrTable:
--------------------

Instance: dellbox
snmpTargetAddrName(IDX, IMP): not available
snmpTargetAddrTDomain: snmpV2.1.1 (UDP)
snmpTargetAddrTAddress: 10.10.13.103/161
snmpTargetAddrTimeout: 1500
snmpTargetAddrRetryCount: 3
snmpTargetAddrTagList: v1request
snmpTargetAddrParams: dellv1  // this has snmpv1 parameters defined in
targetParamstable
snmpTargetAddrStorageType: nonVolatile(3)
snmpTargetAddrRowStatus: active(1)

Now, I have the following questions:

a) What is wrong with the above configuration? From the logs, seems like the
request is forwarded but immediately times out.
b) Does the SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB has to be used at all? If so, what would I
configure the entry to be especially the snmpCommunityContextEngineId?
c) Is the context name used at all since my target agent is SNMPv1?
d) I am not sure where snmpTargetParamsSecurityName is mapped to!! Right
now, I have it set to MD5DES for the dellv1 entry. I do not know whether
this is right or wrong. Should this be a user with noAuthPriv priviledges?

Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate this.

Ram