Proxy forwarder question

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Tue Feb 27 01:38:51 CET 2001

Ram Krishnaswamy wrote:

> Meanwhile, I have been advancing a little bit but still not been able to
> configure the snmp_proxy agent example to forward SNMPv1 requests and get
> the responses back. At this point, seems like it is forwarding it but it
> times out immediately. There is something wrong with my configuration of the
> proxy.
>
> When I send a request from the manager entity, I send the following:
>
> Security user name: MD5DES
> Context name: dellserv
> Context Engine Id: public
>
> MD5DES is defined as it came in the example so I send the right priv and
> auth passwords.
>
> Here is what I have in terms of table entries on the agent side:
>
> snmpProxyTable
> --------------
>
> Instance: proxy
> snmpProxyName(IDX, IMP): not avaliable
> snmpProxyType: read(1)
> snmpProxyContextEngineID: public
> snmpProxyContextName: dellserv
> snmpProxyTargetParamsIn: defaultV1Request (the name is a misnomer)
> snmpProxySingleTargetOut: dellbox
> snmpProxyMultipleTargetOut:
> snmpProxyStorageType: nonVolatile(3)
> snmpProxyRowStatus: active(1)
>
> snmpTargetParamsTable: (one for defaultV1Request and one for dellv1)
> ----------------------
>
> Instance: defaultV1Request
> snmpTargetParamsName(IDX, IMP): not available
> snmpTargetParamsMPModel: 3
> snmpTargetParamsSecurityModel: 3
> snmpTargetParamsSecurityName: MD5DES
> snmpTargetParamsSecurityLevel: authPriv(3)
> snmpTargetParamsStorageType: nonVolatile(3)
> snmpTargetParamsRowStatus: active(1)
>
> Instance: dellv1
> snmpTargetParamsName(IDX, IMP): not available
> snmpTargetParamsMPModel: 0
> snmpTargetParamsSecurityModel: 1
> snmpTargetParamsSecurityName: MD5DES // I am not sure whether I should be
> using this?? But where is
> this used?

Sorry, I was wrong in my last mail! This parameter
is NOT processed using the COMMUNITY-MIB.
This parameter should be the community string defined in
your agent. Thus, normally "public".

> snmpTargetParamsSecurityLevel: noAuthPriv(1)
> snmpTargetParamsStorageType: nonVolatile(3)
> snmpTargetParamsRowStatus: active(1)
>
> snmpTargetAddrTable:
> --------------------
>
> Instance: dellbox
> snmpTargetAddrName(IDX, IMP): not available
> snmpTargetAddrTDomain: snmpV2.1.1 (UDP)
> snmpTargetAddrTAddress: 10.10.13.103/161
> snmpTargetAddrTimeout: 1500
> snmpTargetAddrRetryCount: 3
> snmpTargetAddrTagList: v1request
> snmpTargetAddrParams: dellv1  // this has snmpv1 parameters defined in
> targetParamstable
> snmpTargetAddrStorageType: nonVolatile(3)
> snmpTargetAddrRowStatus: active(1)
>
> Now, I have the following questions:
>
> a) What is wrong with the above configuration? From the logs, seems like the
> request is forwarded but immediately times out.

I guess, a wrong community has been used.

> b) Does the SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB has to be used at all? If so, what would I
> configure the entry to be especially the snmpCommunityContextEngineId?

Forget the SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB, It was my error mentioning it.

> c) Is the context name used at all since my target agent is SNMPv1?

No.

> d) I am not sure where snmpTargetParamsSecurityName is mapped to!! Right
> now, I have it set to MD5DES for the dellv1 entry. I do not know whether
> this is right or wrong. Should this be a user with noAuthPriv priviledges?

No, for SNMPv1/v2c this is mapped to the community string used
for the sent PDU.

Hope you get it working now ;-)