Newbie agent question

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Wed Jul 4 20:19:36 CEST 2001

Hello Eric,

Please find my comments inline:

Eric Teutsch wrote:

> Hello all,
> Sorry to be a pain-in-the-neck newbie...  I've managed to build an
> NT based agent using agent++ 2.13NT and 2.8a snmp++.  I've also
> written a small MIB that has a few counters and a few strings and
> now a table.  I can remotely see the structure and query it (using
> getif).  Now for the dumb question:  How do I best tie all this to the
> system that should be remotely managed?  Do I modify the
> agent++ code generated by agentgen so that it gets the real data
> from the system (using the registry or shared memory or
> something)?  Or should I create my own classes that are derived
> from the agent++ classes of my MIB?  Mmm, saying it out 'loud'
> makes me think I should create my own derived classes and have
> these get the data from shared memory, etc.  Is that the way to
> go?  Are there ANY examples out there? (Especially of real
> instances of tables.)  Manuals?  A light-switch?  It is so dim in my
> head...

Please note that AGENT++v2.13NT is deprecated and thus no
longer actively supported. There will be Win2000 subagent
protocol support for AGENT++v3.x available end of this year.

But now to your questions:
In order to instrument your agent, you should modify the generated
code within the generated tokens
//--AgentGen BEGIN=<class[::method]>
//--AgentGen END

Then you can later (slightly) change the MIB definition and you can
preserve the code you have already written. See the AgentGen Pro
manual for details.

For examples on how to instrument the generated code, you may
take a look at the examples coming with AGENT++. An example
which uses the above mentioned new feature of AgentGen Pro,
that allows round-trip engineering, will be included in the upcoming
version 3.4.7 of AGENT++.

Hope this helps.