GETBULK problem

Ram Krishnaswamy RKrishnaswamy____pathfire.com
Fri Jul 27 19:20:14 CEST 2001

Hello,

I have a mib that contains two tables apart from other leaf objects. One of
those tables is a list of running processes that the agent can start/stop.
In some situations (given below), the getbulk request times out. I am using
MG-SOFT's MibBrowser to do a TableView (essentially a bunch of getbulk
requests). I am using agent++ 3.4.5a. I went through the mailing list
archive and found couple of articles (actually these articles were for patch
announcements) from last year that kind of relates to my problem. But I am
not sure.

To give more description to the problem, when the agent starts up, it
initializes the two tables with relevant data and then starts all the
processes in the order given. Once started (this is on Windows NT), it
updates the snmp process table (one of the two tables mentioned above) with
pertinent information. Basically, this is being cached so that when snmp
requests come in, the retrieval will be fast. When getbulk requests come in
for this table, I can see that the agent is getting the requests but the
manager times out. I mentioned earlier that this happens only in some
situations. One such situation is explained below.

I have 3 processes to start: JINI, JMS and RMID. There is no problem
starting but I cannot retrieve the process table information. If I take out
RMID then everything is okay. If I just have RMID as the only process to
start, it is okay too.

Since the data is cached by the snmp tables, why does the getbulk requests
time out? What else can I look at to debug this problem? At this point I
feel it is the underlying agent++ code since the data is cached. Am I wrong
in thinking that?

Ram Krishnaswamy
x1671