Proxy forwarder question

Majdi Abuelbassal Majdi.Abuelbassal____sonusnet.com
Mon Mar 19 16:47:23 CET 2001

Frank, My questions are on the ProxyForwarder:

- Currently The constructor takes the context engine ID and PDU type,
does the ProxyForwarder use SingleTargetOut and MultipleTagetOut?
- How do we let the ProxyForwarder send traps to several destinations?
Does it use all the Target-MIB entries as destinations?
- Does it proxy V1 traps? Can it also in process convert v1 or v3 to v2
towards destinations?
- Any bugs or major todo in this area?

Thanks,

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Fock [mailto:Frank.Fock____t-online.de]
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 7:35 PM
To: Ram Krishnaswamy
Cc: 'Frank.Fock____t-online.de'; 'agentpp-dl____agentpp.com'
Subject: Re: Proxy forwarder question

Hi Ram,

Please see my comments below:

Ram Krishnaswamy wrote:

> >From what I have read so far, seems that I should be able to send a
snmpv3
> request from a manager entity (10.10.13.78) to an agent entity (which
has
> the proxy forwarder and its ip address = 10.10.9.2) so that the
request gets
> forwarded as a SNMPv1 request to the target address 10.10.13.103.   If
> cannot do this, then what I have tried so far would not work. I
understand
> this although the documentation and book says that the message
processing
> subsystem should convert between versions.

You can do that!

> So I setup the table entries as given below. I initially set the
> targetParamTableentry to support SNMPv1. But it did not work as I saw
in
> proxy_forwarder.cpp file. So I matched the versions and had it as
SNMPv3.
> The proxy forwarder sends it but times out. Obviously, since the
> 10.10.13.103 box talks only SNMPv1.

Please read the sources of proxy_forwarder.cpp carefully. It does
support choosing different MP models for incoming and proxied
request.

> What am I missing here or what have I done wrong? Thanks.

Just take your time. It is a little bit complicated how proxy
forwarding works, but it is very powerful.

> I have the following entries in the three tables:
>
> snmpProxyTable
> --------------
>
> Instance: proxy
> snmpProxyName(IDX, IMP): not avaliable
> snmpProxyType: read(1)
> snmpProxyContextEngineID: dell4400
> snmpProxyContextName: dellserv
> snmpProxyTargetParamsIn: defaultV1Request

Attention! I thought you wanted to use v3 for
incoming requests? Here you are using v1.

> snmpProxySingleTargetOut: dellbox
> snmpProxyMultipleTargetOut:
> snmpProxyStorageType: nonVolatile(3)
> snmpProxyRowStatus: active(1)
>
> snmpTargetParamsTable:
> ----------------------
>
> Instance: defaultV1Request
> snmpTargetParamsName(IDX, IMP): not available
> snmpTargetParamsMPModel: 0
> snmpTargetParamsSecurityModel: 1

The above accepts only SNMPv1 requests.

> snmpTargetParamsSecurityName: MD5DES
> snmpTargetParamsSecurityLevel: noAuthNoPriv(1)

Mmmh, MD5DES seems not to be noAuthNoPriv?

> snmpTargetParamsStorageType: nonVolatile(3)
> snmpTargetParamsRowStatus: active(1)
>
> snmpTargetAddrTable:
>
> Instance: dellbox
> snmpTargetAddrName(IDX, IMP): not available
> snmpTargetAddrTDomain: snmpV2.1.1 (UDP)
> snmpTargetAddrTAddress: 0A.0A.0D.67.00.A1 translates to
10.10.13.103/161
> snmpTargetAddrTimeout: 1500
> snmpTargetAddrRetryCount: 3
> snmpTargetAddrTagList: v1request
> snmpTargetAddrParams: defaultV1Request

OK. here you choose SNMPv1 as target out. Please note
that if you do not have the SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB
instantiated, the security name MD5DES will be used as
community for accessing dellbox. Is this community defined
there? In order to translate the security name into a community
name, you will have to configure the community MIB
appropriately.