Proxy forwarder question

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Tue Mar 20 00:43:52 CET 2001

Hi Majdi,

Please find my answers below:

Majdi Abuelbassal wrote:

> Frank, My questions are on the ProxyForwarder:
>
> - Currently The constructor takes the context engine ID and PDU type,
> does the ProxyForwarder use SingleTargetOut and MultipleTagetOut?

Both, that depends on the PDU type. Traps/Notifications are forwarded
using MultipleTagetOut.

> - How do we let the ProxyForwarder send traps to several destinations?
> Does it use all the Target-MIB entries as destinations?

It uses all entries in the Target-MIB that matches the tag defined
by the MultipleTagetOut proxy entry.

> - Does it proxy V1 traps? Can it also in process convert v1 or v3 to v2
> towards destinations?

Yes, it is complicated to show how it works, but, once again, I would
like to recommend the book "A Practical Guide to SNMPv3 and Network
Management" by D.Zeltserman. But the RFCs also show the details.

> - Any bugs or major todo in this area?

Currently, no open issues!