How does the MIB persistent data work?

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Thu May 3 00:52:24 CEST 2001

Yael Yankelev wrote:

> There seems to be a very useful feature in the MIB class which stores
> persistent data of the MIB if the system crashes or somthing. (??)

With Mib::save_all() the whole MIB is stored to disk and with Mib::init()
the data restored. Every registered object will be saved that returns
FALSE to MibEntry::is_volatile() and which is part of a MibGroup
that has a non null persistent path attribute.

> How does this work?  How can we load the data back into the MIB once the
> agent goes up again?  In format is this data saved?

The examples shows that. Simply call Mib::init() before entering the main
loop.
The data is saved BER encoded (ASN.1 sequences of SNMP variable bindings).